A road trip wasn’t our original plan, but it turned out to be just what we needed.
How did you ring in 2021? Would you laugh if I said I wrote up my goals? Yes, I’m an uptight, type A, firstborn; an endangered species of the COVID world—a resolution setter.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made from the links on this site, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting our family business!
Table of Contents
This is the first post in an ongoing series about our family road trip from Oregon to Georgia and back.
By late January we’d decided to sell our home and by June I submitted my letter of resignation as a full-time Christian minister.
We hadn’t planned any of this, yet here we were moving away and stepping down from public ministry.
No one likes going through a storm, but I think most of us would admit that they have their uses. Wind and rain quickly clears away the clutter, and shows what’s truly solid.
Even more, we learn what actually matters to us and who’s a friend indeed. We also get a clearer view of who we are both in the best and worst of ways.
Only God can make a storm—a disorder that brings order, something so ugly yet also so beautiful. But I wouldn’t have waxed poetic a month ago.
Out with the Old
No, a month ago I was in a hole—my mind was angry and my heart felt adrift. And it wasn’t just me; our entire family was reeling from a rapid succession of major life changes! New house, new job, new church amounted to nearly too much.
What’s more, the newness that surrounded us was a constant reminder of the grief that we’d hardly had an opportunity to sort through. Our new home was great and all, but we were still working through the sad reasons why we had to move in the first place.
Thankfully, our garage held a big, blue blessing.
Into the Blue (road trip-worthy van)
For over six years, Jennifer and I transported our family of eight via two rundown minivans. Now, the sale of our old home had gone so well that it allowed us to purchase a large, new, twelve-seater van that could comfortably hold us all.
Sitting at our new address with no job and an open schedule, we began to wonder—what about a road trip?
@dinkumtribe #kidsroadtrip #familytravelblog #dinkumtribe #roadtripidea #smallbusiness ♬ Colors – Amanda Rosa & AMANDA ROSA
It was crazy, but a little crazy was just what we needed. So we hit the road and now we’re ready to share the journey with you!
Here’s the list of posts about each of our destinations. Check back as we continue to add more to our list!
Oregon (road trip began near Salem)
- Craters of the Moon National Monument Part 1
- Craters of the Moon National Monument Part 2
- Craters of the Moon National Monument Part 3
- Museum of the Mountain Man
- 5 Quick Stops for Long Drives
- Devil’s Tower National Monument (I-90 in Wyoming)
- Bailey Yard: Nebraska’s World Wonder
- Fort Cody Trading Post
- Gothenburg Nebraska: Sod House and Pony Express Station
- Oceans of Fun Waterpark, Kansas City
- Waffle House diner
- National World War 1 Museum in Kansas City
- Slap’s BBQ and Penguin Park
- Ted Drewes frozen custard, St. Louis
- Gateway Arch National Park in St. Louis
- National Quilt Museum, Paducah
- Moss Rock Preserve, Hoover
- Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark (Alabama National Parks)
- Red Mountain Trail (Best Hikes in Birmingham, AL)
@dinkumtribe Enjoyed the cool water and climbing the boulders at Moss Rock Preserve in Hoover, Alabama last summer. #familytravelblogger #familytravelcreator #familytraveltiktoker #familytravelideas #familytravelvlog #familytravelinfluencer #familytravelblog #adhdfamilies #adhdfamilylife #bigfamilies #largefamilymom #bigfamilytravel #outdoorfamily #outdoorfamilyfun #hikingwithkids #hikingwithkids⛰ #hikingwithfriends #boulderfield #playinginthecreek #1000hoursoutsidechallenge #alabamahiking #alabamacreeks ♬ Sunroof – Nicky Youre & dazy
- Metropolis, Home of Superman!
- Badlands National Park Animals (Wall, SD and Custer, SD)
- Driving Through Badlands National Park (Wall, SD)
- Road Trip panic attack at Minuteman
- Missile Silo National Park?! The Scoop on Minuteman Missile NHS (Wall, SD)
- Best Restaurants in Badlands National Park (Interior and Wall, SD)
- Museum of the Rockies, Bozeman
How do you reset after a big life change? Let us know in the comments!
© Copyright 2021 Brian A. Warren. First published September 24, 2021. Last updated November 3, 2022.